Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Learning

After the seemingly shocking revelation of graduation being moved, I have chilled out quite a bit. We're planning for Friday night now, 12-17-10 around 7:30 or 8 pm. It works out because I wanted a night wedding originally! God has definitely spoke to me about chilling out...and how getting so worked up was irrational. It has been a learning experience for future times of panic! I got a little too worked up, doubting that December was the right time to get married.

Complete change of subject but my roommate and I have recently been discussing the "Elect." She learned about it last summer and we listened to this great sermon by Paul Washer, explaining it to us. But since then, I never really studied the Bible and got away from learning more. This past weekend we talked about it again. Through my questions and our discussion, I was so touched by how God works through people. I felt His presence so much when we were just talking and combing through scripture. I am so thankful for that experience. I still had some questions after that and I continued to pray about it. She lead me to a great blog article, answering my specific questions.http://jamespruch.wordpress.com/articles/gods-sovereign-choice-in-salvation/ It's pretty radical if you were raised in the kind of church/youth retreats I was, where God is this big teddy bear that you decide to pick up when you're ready to be a Christian. It's not easy to read, but at the same time it's not hard to accept when you dig through scripture. The verses that really grabbed my heart were: "No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him." John 6:44, and "...but you do not believe because you are not part of my flock. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me...My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand." John 10: 26-27, 29 I have never noticed that kind of language in the Bible because it was never taught in my church...understandingly because I think it would kind of turn nonbelievers away to hear that followers of Christ are chosen. However, I believe it's the truth, which is difficult because a lot of my close friends do not believe that.

Honestly, it does not matter. I know I am a part of His flock, which I am grateful for and it makes me wonder why I act the way I do sometimes. My job is to preach the Gospel to everyone because ultimately I am not the one who will draw the believers. God calls His flock.

I think I have really grown the past few weeks, atleast in being open to where God is leading my life. I never thought I would be here or possibly planning the things I might be planning in the next few months. ;) Alex and I actually found a house in January that we really fell in love with and we thought would be our house someday...I'm learning to let that go and be open to moving wherever God takes us. I'm excited and ready to hang on for the ride! Just get me out of school more quickly and I'll be super happy.

Molly, thank you for the encouragement and prayer. I wish you lived closer!

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the dark side Rebecca! Beware, if you get talking about God's sovereignty and election, the boys (minus Seth) will give you a hard time! Seth and I welcome another team member. haha.

    All joking aside, that's awesome that you're growing and wanting to understand the Scriptures better. I think the last part you put out there says it best though. Does it really matter whether we were "elected" or not? We're called to be Christ to the world, and to live our lives loving Him and loving others. I may interpret scripture differently from some, but it doesn't change the way I live and love.

    Thanks for posting that blog.. it was a good read for sure. :)

    Hang in there lady! Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete