Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Simple Living?

That sounds like a magazine title. For some reason I am just stuck on this idea. And I've come to realize that most of the time the things in my head that make me think are not of me.

I was trying to work through it in the car earlier and kept asking more and more questions. Where does it stop? For example, I'm down with the whole working with what I got, minimal buying, frugal spending, etc. But what about eating out with friends or going to a movie with my fiance? I don't really need to go out to eat or to a movie to spend time with those people. So God, does that mean You're calling me to give that up too? I've never thought that God wanted me to give that kind of stuff up...but maybe.

This has been a difficult topic to think about as I'm planning my wedding because as most people know, weddings are not inexpensive. How can I justify spending $4000 on food when all I can think about is simple living? The people coming to my wedding are not starving folk! But can't I celebrate my marriage? Jesus turned water into wine for a wedding, which later a man attending the wedding called that wine "the best." I'd say that's pretty celebratory.

My head is just swimming with thoughts. But the one that I keep coming back to is using what I have in the best way I can for the glory of God and His kingdom. Maybe that means not going out with friends one night and eating a grilled cheese sandwich so I can give money every month to my church; or going through my clothes that I don't wear anymore and donating them to someone who can take them to people who are struggling for clothes.

Jesus calls us to lay everything at His feet and follow Him, which I interpret as giving Him everything I have so He can use it, which also means I have to be willing to give up anything and everything. Maybe that's what God is trying to teach me by this whole "Simple Living" thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment