Saturday, April 28, 2012

Flower Shop

When I was a little girl, I was always creating something. I was a huge fan of the American Girl magazine that regularly had articles about creating a product and then teaching how to market it and sell your product at things like yard sales and to neighbors. I remember making these "natural" (peanut butter, oatmeal, etc.) dog treats and stamping my "brand" (a stamp from Michael's and my name!) on paper bags to bag them up. I walked around to my neighbors that had dogs and sold them, then gave the rest to my dog. I loved creating and the idea of having my own business. Why I didn't pursue that in college is beyond me. I think God knew what he was doing when he put nursing on my heart, but I lately I have been yearning to create and make that my job. It doesn't help that that's the "thing" for moms and young women to do today, and many of my facebook friends bombard my newsfeed with their own Etsy shops and craft websites.

When I got married, I really wanted to do my own flowers, but that's almost impossible when you're the bride. Since then the idea of a flower shop has really stuck in my head. I think about it all the time. I have a Pinterest board just for pictures of flower arrangements, bouquets, boutonnieres, and any wedding decor consisting of flowers.

All of that to explain why I did what I did this past Tuesday. I went to Fresh Market and bought about 6 different bundles of flowers to try my hand at making bouquets and centerpieces. It actually turned out alright, if I don't say so myself.




No comments:

Post a Comment